Friday, June 10, 2005

Thursday - a good exercise day.

Conference prep starts bigtime Thursday. Just getting to gether stuff for display stand and some pictures. WLSinfo was originally concieved as a place by blokes for blokes. Glad I changed that and the place is far richer for the decision, I have made many friends and met some truly inspirational characters through the place.
So a bit of personal weight and fitness stuff. At the extreme my weight was 216kilos 34 stone. Last year in May it went down to 15st 7lb following a bout of peritonitis(oddly associated to adhesions from an earlier appendicectomy). I looked too thin I think. I am 6 foot - I have about a stone of loose saggy flesh around my middle. I was referred for plastics but the surgeon said the local criteria for surgery was to have a BMI of 25 - doesn't matter where you have come from. I wasnt happy, unfortunately I was too depressed at the time to argue with him or the rule makers.
So after peritonitis the dietician tried to build me up, took nearly 10 miutes of persuasion to get me to eat more. Target and comfy weight for me is 17 stone but winter, depression, prozac, over eating and under exercising have led me to overshoot. I now stand before you at around 18stone. I havent been weighed for three weeks but feel I am on the right road.
I should at this point mention I have Bipolar Affective Disorder. Its not the easiest thing to admit or explain, I have been diagnosed for about 18 months but probably had it most of my adult life.As a mental health professional its been difficult to admit but I feel acceptance is part of the healing. Anyway theres a booking for next years gig when I think the theme is Mental Health.
Food and Exercise.
Anyway I digress. Thursday I ate a bowl of cereal, with semi-skimmed milk. i eat a mix of branflakes and crunchy nut cornflakes. Ok I know thats not ideal but I can't stand the cardboard fibre on its own. Mid morning a banana. Then off the gym - Its a nice day so instead of the car I hoof it down. About 2 miles, but too be honest with my MP3 on I dont notice it. I slow down as I reach the main shopping thoroughfare. Then along the length of Penny Lane - nearly killed by the beatles tourbus, but hey ho. I jog the last leg. (Only because its uninhabited). I am in a good lather of seat when I get in to the gym. I spend five minutes sat outside talking to two nice retired ladies. Then in for my weights, I enjoy them in an odd kind of way. The atmosphere in there helps. Its a vibe set by Jack the manager, top bloke, to whom I credit a huge degree of my post op success. He's been away for a while but now he's back I am well in the groove. My weights plus rowing takes 50 minutes, I take plenty of water then its back walking briskly home.
On Allerton road and go and buy two apples I give one to the big issue seller, with whom I regularly chat. Trotting off and its uphill back home.

Home-  bath - then the post office. Then off to Tesco where I am horrified at the price of cherries. The nice checkout girl advised leaving them till the end. People had apparently been bombarding the customer service desk with complaints they were shocked how much they were. I told her I had weighed them and expected them to be 2.50 which seemed steeep but bearable.
She weighed em and told me 4.50ish. No thanks.
I got everything required for the chicken stir fry but the chicken which I only remembered on the way home. Poop chicken stir fry was my daughters request, anyway she wants pasta now.....we end up later. Some soup and a portion of crispy duck for tea, from the chinese at the top of the road.

No comments: