Sunday, June 12, 2005

London continues to blow us away

Forgot to mention in my earlier blogging entry that it was nice of them to arrange a flypast over the hotel of several military jets perfectly timed to our exit from the hotel. Service here is top class, went down in our eyes when we realised this was something to do with trooping the colour. Also laid on especially for us was a load of nude cyclists, disappointingly Sundays paper tells me it was something to do with oil protest.
Back to the journey - Up whitehall past Richmond house and into Trafalgar square, we pick up a snack from Tesco express and sit watching some bizarre gig  at the base of Nelsons column, I didn't know if i was "performance art" but I suspect it could have been as it meant so little to me. Anyway my culture valve was on overload anyway merely sitting outside the national gallery.
After a rest we scooted off down the mall, had a gander at horseguards - being taken down after trooping. Then on to the mall well rigged up gor lizzies birthday.
St James park looked nice - down to Buck House - round in front of it, obligatory shot of guardsmen, up the mall then sat in the st james park in the sun for half an hour. The toll is beginning to be felt on the feet, Jeans knees suffer too. So as a preventative measure we jump a cab to Chinatown. blown away by the sights sound and smells,  looked at a couple of places before settling on a shanghai place. There used to be a shanghai restaurant in Liverpool but it shut. It did Wortip which I could eat 7 or 8 for a starter last night I had one and a duck roll. I did a prawn and hand pulled noodle thing shared with jean who had a mixed seafood with light wine and shared my carbs. We was stuffed but it was the best meal out at the end of the best holiday since our honeymoon.
Then it was on to the New Ambassadors to watch someone to watch over me. sad serious and extreme bad language. Good stuff. Walked back to the hotel and got into the bar which was too classy for us. Not as pricey as I thought for some stuff. Then upstairs to play with the fotos and reflect. We had had a great day but I felt jean and I have missed so much. I guess this is all stuff that people take for granted but to me yesterday was pioneering marvellous stuff.
I got up handy and left Jean kipping whilst I blogged and played with the lavazza drinks machine. We shall bathe read the Observer, breakfast and then a gallery.
My ablutions are easy the bathroom is good. I have lost count of the broken toilet seats and pedestals in my life. Some hotels have a radiator so close to the bog you can't take a dump without burning yer leg when you are big.
Being able to wipe your own bum without resorting to the mechanical assistance of a long handled bottom wiper or worse still someone elses help is a delight. Hotel showers and baths were a nightmare when I was Super-Super-Obese (SSO) ie Body Mass Index (BMI) >60  once had to transfer rooms as I couldn't get in the fixed door shower. Nice thing to have to say in reception.
I  bring this up not as a request that everything is designed for the SSO but that anyone reading this realises just how pervasive a life of obesity can be. A spiralling, degenerative, life threatening disabling disease.
If I see any jokers at the conference slipping into this
and thinking they know how it feels may get a fly in the ear.
Right, bath time for bonzo.

No comments: