Saturday, June 11, 2005

Friday.

So - getting my act together for Monday. Good talk to my techie mate
Andrew via skype. Then a day of running round catching up. Off to the
barbers, for a trim. I have been going to Franks since I was 16 - his
hair hasn't changed (wig) mine has. He is a better psychotherapist than
barber so customer loyalty is assured. He isn't keen on fat blokes
(difficult to squeeze past). He's off today so I am left to Peter - his
deaf ex-jockey assistant. Its a mans barbers BTW. I usually get enraged
reading the daily mail and the express but straight into the chair
today. Lunch from Cafe Naz, a greasy spoon which transforms into an
Indian in the night. I admire cook brekkie and go for chicken salad on
white (brown is a rarity in these parts). I chuck half away.
Then its off to ASDA for a shirt for Monday - I want to look half
presentable. No white shirts available. It strikes me that the last time
I was chucked out of main stream shopping shirts went up to 17" collar,
no available up to 18.5". A sign of the times.
Off to Tesco and score there. Pick up other essentials and back home.
Makes a nice change buying a shirt for 4 quid rather than 25 in the
bigboy shop.
Fart about on PC, tying up several loose ends. Sort out a rolling
display on powerpoint for our display stand, and some printed stuff
which I shall mount on the web after the event. Nell and Pete deliver
stuff to the conference gig.We go into excitement mode. My wife and I
are taking two nights in London Saturday/Sunday. I am really looking
forward to it. Previously London has consisted of Euston taxi, hotel and
conference venue. Once I did a bus tour, but I have never walked around
London, so never mind the gig this is the best bit.
Work up to the flag as ever, organising myself is not easy, and would be
impossible without my wife and daughter.
Off to see mum in the evening (after a stir fry). She's been away with
my sister all week, she doesn't know where but she enjoyed it.
Gives us 20quid to get a meal in London (yeah right!) and wishes us
well. She is a diamond me mam, and I realise constantly what a git I was
as a teenager.
Friday night means Ma-in-laws where the predominantly bluenose family
slate Liverpool for wangling their way into the Champions league. Then
back home more finishing off, packing and tidying up.
Next post from Virgin trains.

No comments: