Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Tidying up late as ever.

So its Wednesday afternoon, I slept soundly last night after a fairly lazy day. So its time to recount the events of Monday and Tuesday. Dont want the blog going moribund Jim "The editor" P will be on me back if I dont keep it up.
So last time we spoke It was Monday 2.36 real time and I had reported up to Prof Alan White.
I decided sort of into the first session that we should get closer to the Mens Health Forum. Atop bunch of lads and a set of the right sort of values. Also playing with yourself (ie testicular self examination is actively encouraged).
Surprised at how many of the people in the audience are women. After first session its off to manning the stall with Steve. Its always tough when you meet a WLSer at a gig like this and have to hit the floor running. But I like to think our fat boys club is exclusive. There are things  only big big blokes know about being SSO. Super Super Obese. I hit it off with Steve straight away, feel like I already know him.The display manning is an odd experience. I am naturally a shy person  - honest so standing there encouraging strangers to engage in what can be probing questions. The majority are listening keen and attentive. Some feel the right to ask very direct question only one delegate was off. (about par for course).
Meet some great people, some challenging thoughts some useful feedback and some people who are considering surgery as a personal option.
Jim Pollard is a cool dude and though he lives on the fifth floor of a gaff in Paris he will need a visit. Matt and the photographer were top lads. Some big names there but the secretary of state was on an awayday (Hmm). I stay out of the morning workshops though I think the gary egger one might have been my choice. A google on his name brings some interesting stuff but not one I wanted to definitively post - so do it yourself. He spoke a great deal of sense.
Lunch was cool and quick bite before hitting delegates head on. Steve takes to it like a duck to water - I am digging his vibe.Touched  by one woman saying she remembers being moved by something I said at a previous NOF conference. I am in to the ripple effect - if it made one person think - then it was worth it. Our prime position ensured us a steady stream of visitors sometimes being last helps.
Jibbed the afternoon workshops too - To be onest too many to choose from. I thought about going in Mark Davidsons from Belfast (clinical psychologist) but resisted as I always get terribly upset thinking about the psychological pain of obesity, and its causes. I spoke to Mark and fessed up to him about Bipolar Diagnosis too he was cool and we discuss his future role in WLSinfo. We also discussed the feeling that patients want to compare notes about his assessment. My line is tell the truth you cant rehearse, and you probably cant shock him.
We talk about the different dynamics of working with obese men and I acquire another insight. Blokes are different, that much is clear. As the last session approaches my anxiety becomes apparent in my digestive tract. I have been breaking wind all day - loud but not smelly and have positioned myself outside on most occasions. Then start worrying about farting whilst on the platform which increases my gut motility which makes me want to.... fart.
In to the auditorium, sit next to Ian Campbell President of National Obesity Forum - top chap and media star.Listen to Consensus statement from mens health forum three quarters is too many - decide we will sign up.Then its  Gina nice public health doc, giving the public health view. Then were on up to the stage and every things twitching.
I had been told I would have two minutes to introduce me and talk about my views/aspirations on  obesity  in mens health. I had worried for a fortnight and jotted some notes in the preceding talk. I had numerous brief witty salient points to make but no chance this is Ken Clare says Tv Doc Mark Porter .
I was dissapointed with my lack of contribution to the panel. It was a difficult format for me. Hard to get a word in. I am as ever my harshest critic and a couple of people said I came across sound. Then its goodbyes and off to the concierge at the top Swissiotel. Cab to Euston meet Nell and jean pint in Britannia on to 6.18 to Euston. nice journey punctuated with butties from M&S and tinnies from buffet.
We jump a can home and are replete.
Top time.

No comments: