Monday, June 13, 2005

Tower and chill

After lunch we fall in to a museum of fusiliers, and over to the chapel of st peter in chains. Which is interesting for the number of people (famous) buried there. The Beefeater is a nice interestng guy and gets heavily tipped on the way out - fair enuff thinks we.
We decide we are goosed, and need to go back to the hotel tourism is hard graft. The behviour of japanese tourists has worn hard on our patience. We wander out after a stop at the shop, and find our way into a pub on tower hill, Hung drawn and quartered i think it was called. I sample a pint of fullers chiswick bitter. Which is as weal as gnats pee. I make the mistake of saying have one yourself - which apparently in london means  take all my wordly goods (or 20p in Liverpool). Hmm.
The a joseph (taxi) back to the hotel Jean kips soundly I chat to nell and andrew and try to sort a pair of shoes for the morning forgot to pack. I read the paper and put feet up. Enjoy a surf and look around the net. Jean wakes and we hit town. Bump into a late louise from TOAST on her way to the Savoy, she is sound. In search of a decent pint we hit walkabout by the river. "sample the full aussie experience" hmmm well I wont be going down down under. Strikes me the sort of beer palace I might have lived in in the early 80's. Intrigued by the kangaroo and croc on offer in the canteen style food hatch.
There is a two piece with backing tapes hammering pop classics blaring out too loud. The punters love it but its not for us.
Jean has a Carstle lager (family joke).
Off in search of a real pint we (on petes advice hit the law courts area). We find the courts and some top ale ouses - all shut!
We trot along the strand find a tourist boozer - real ale, Landlord off. End up with stella - not good. We mooch into convent garden (thugh we didnt know it ( an old place when its mostly shut). We find many top eateries - all shut and many seedy looking gaffs (all open). We nervously try the dance about where to eat. Then out of the clouds -our deliverance ; The loch fyne restaurant. My idea of top food is sea food  and jeans refining of that is bouillabaise. This gaff is the tops. We have a nice french waiter - we love the french BTW,I use my three sentences of french much to his apparent amusement.Starters for me organic smoked salmon and for jean 4 types of herring. A bottle of entre deux mers top stuff. Main course gets better I head for King scallops and king prawns and jean does the bouillabase. No pud needed, we are happy (1 portion of veg and chips). We have a glass of port and are made up. Best meal I can remember at the end of the best holiday ever. This weekend has been unbelievable.
 

No comments: