Wednesday, November 05, 2003

London trip

Left in a taxi for lime street, in plenty of time. Saw Jonesy getting the train to Manchester. Great bloke ribbed him about putting on weight. Then Ruth bumped into us outside Costa Coffee. Then we saw Cath from Greenbank on her way to uni. A bit of shopping for essentials, then on to the 9.15 from Limes street. RCN had booked us in 2nd class coach A seats 1&2, as far from the buffet as was possible. Surprisingly ok as an experience Jean was cold had a bit of a kip and I played with various gadgetry. Only glitch was the trolley service running out of hot water aas it arrived at our seat. I comforted meself with a bag of crisps, which made me feel a bit sick. Arrived at Euston on time and made off to the Lancaster Gate Hotel. First mistake get told we aint stopping there. Meet twogeezers from Leeds in the same boat so we are told we are staying in the thistle round the corner – no sweat. Get to the thistle hydepark and told no it’s the other thistle round the corner. Getting a bit browned off with this now. They haven’t heard of us at all. Not good leave the luggage and hotfoot it back for a media briefing at the Lancaster. Arrive late and hungry, get squeezed into a green nursing standard t-shirt and walk to hyde park for a photoshoot. 14 of us looking total lemons (or mebbe limes). Approach a kiosk in the bar but the only fare on offer was fried or big docker butties. Manage to pinch two prawn butties off clare the RCN publishing lady and events co-ordinator.
Then asked would I speak to the Daily mail, nice journo but definitely not taking the angle I fancied. Try to convince her of the message but who knows it’s the daily mail after all.
She is interviewing a cross section of us – most of the speculation amongst the winners is interpreting every event into a view about who has won. Suppose I am thinking that way too. Some geezers are kipping in the Lancaster gate whilst the majority of us are in the thistle. The other gastro lady winner is in the Lancaster gate with four guests all paid for by the sponsors, nice work. Still Jean tells me she uses their gear in her clinical work. Mebbe I could get some sponsorship for the site?
Then into a briefing by Jean the editor of Nursing Standard then into the main hall for a rehearsal. Linda editor in chief of RCN publishing gives us a pep talk. She is one shrewd dude – I warm to her immediately. She gives us a run through and tells us what to expect. She also talks about what to do if you are the winner. Don’t get rooted to the spot. We have a walk through and I walk the wrong way down the steps.
Jean has meanwhile go to do battle over the room and succeeds though we have to change our name by deed poll to Clark. Several other cock ups in there as well. The arrival of coachloads of Russian football supporters just makes things worse.
We get finished up and then Gareth(mens health Sally Army boy) and Elly (leg ulcer club lady) and I walk back to the thistle.
Manage to stop Jean dropping off and we chat and she falls asleep. I amuse myself on the laptop and trying to get their broadband working with me laptop. Doesn't work so GPRS for me.
Wake Jean at 5.30 and start getting ready, leave at 6.15 and if I say so meself we look a fine couple. Arrive at the place and it’s the real mccoy.
Red Jacketed toastmaster lady greeting at door then introducing you to the Prez,Gen secretary of the RCN and editor of Nursing standard. Unfortunately toast lady takes a baccy break as we pull up and I say Hiya to Sylvia and Bev meself. Introduce Jean and get a drink. We are on table 1 the top table with John Reid, Sylvia El Presidente, Bev General Secretary, Linda chief editor lady, Jean Editor lady, some doc who can salsa Who turns out to be a Prof, and another award winner who was nurse of the year in Bermuda some time ago. Wahoo we have arrived. Meet with Gareth and his missus who look as uncomfortable as us. Joined by Jan Sneddon from South Sefton. Jenny and Chris Sudell join us and I shocked by how il Jenny looks, she is zonked on analgesics and has taken to a wheel chair. She is splendidly irreverent as ever. She tells me her ploy is to claim she has Tourettes and shout random abuse throughout the evening. She nominated me for this and wants me to win more than I do.Speculation then about which table you are on and how that effects yer chances. Our location is seen as a good omen. I try desperately not to hope too much but its hard as I have already mentally spent three times any prize money. Get some photos done with Nursing student commendee who is brickin it more than me, two other confident ladies. It is the geezer from the daily mail whom is a nice bloke but has dirt on his shoes. The geezer running the stage aint impressed and follows him with a big piece of sellotape. Out comes big ken, for a photo, well the girls are impressed for sure. Then back into the drinks and toastie lady calls us in. Most just sit down but we follow the lead and stand behind our chairs till madame presidente sits down. I am sat next to Linda, she seems one top geezer and is doing the work presenting the gig. She tells me she don’t take any sauce before, but tells me it is my solemn duty to stash some liquer for her for afterwards – sorted. She goes off and starts the show. Have to confess to being close to tears at her and sylvias words. They say some really nice things about the award winners and how special we all are.
When she sits down I tell her she done good, and through the meal she confirms my suspicions that she is one top geezer. She gives me loads of encouragement to use this year to do all sorts and she wants to be kept informed.
Starter was a big mushroom with chopped mushrooms and parmesan didn’t float my boat. As the mains are being served I get called out to get some more pics taken. Daily mail man had got back to the ranch and his pictures had disappeared, he aint happy.
Go back to the table and its Lamb noisettes and spuds for me. First time I had lamb since the op methinks. Don’t eat much and am finding it hard to relax. Lemon tart for pud with a red coulis that’s nice. Coffee later then on with the show. John Reid joins us at this point he has been home to see his wife - he seems a good laff and soon has us all at ease. He is MP for Belshill, which is where Kierans wifes family live.
Linda introduces him and he gives a helluva introduction. Really pitched it well I as most were was dead impressed. Then its into the awards, surgical wound care cancer and all sorts. All the award winners looked like overall winners. Heres the form Someone in my case Janet one of the judges reads out a sort of citation as pictures of your work are displayed on 2 big screens. I look up to see my mate JK about 12 foot tall smiling at me. They play music as you go up . Mr Coloplast tries to leave the stage after giving rectal lavage lady her gong and clare has to encourage him back to give me mine. Neither Jean or I can remember what music they played. Linda brought cut out pre op ken on stage at this point and John was gobsmacked he took time to chat with you and say he was dead impressed with the look of me – asked me if I could still take a drink – good he said when I replied positively.
To be continued later

I sat down and took a deep breath and a gulp of water. Whoops it all feels a bit real now. Bloomin eck I have been workin hard but its all been mightily worth it. Who would have thought from the messin about in January that this would have happened – feel a bit gobsmacked.
The overall winners were the international award category winners, one of the winners had been died earlier this year and her daughter turned up to collect it. It was really moving and they deserved it. I sat and thought well I done real good just getting this – It will do for me.
After the meal things got real relaxed, it was a party atmosphere loads of people coming up to us saying hello well done you must be proud. Got pictures taken with the great and the good. Evidence here..

Who did we speak to well who didn’t we –
Sylvia the prez.
Beverley the General Secretary.
Ian the Prof.
Prof lady from Wales one of the judges
Karen Birmingham who wrote an article about me for the gastroenterology journal.
Steve Flanagan – RCN NW guy.
Mike Travis – RCN steward in Liverpool – he was wearing a medal.
Janet the chief exec – a judge.
Linda the editor
Loads of general well wishers
Prof Justus
Jean the editor
Got pics done with John Reid
Several people who thought I was Tom – who works in RCN publishing. Then a band come on. I like live music usually in any form I have had crackin nights listening to some terrible acts but these lads were different. I suppose it was a whole sort of acoustic salsa thing in a different language. But I wasn’t the only one not very impressed once they got off and a bit of dance music came on things livened up no end.
Bit of Boogieing then retired home. Met the girls from the hotel debacle having a pint on the bar so enjoyed a couple of bevies with them and retired far too late.
Awoke breakfasted, and went for a walk in Kensington Garden. Went top the paper shop but there was nowt in the telegraph or Mail. Taxi to the station and then coffee and a wireless surf, by sitting under the first class travel lounge. Nowt in evening standard. Train home delayed by 25 minutes good to be back in the pool.

No comments: