Friday, February 28, 2003

Friday - No time to blog on Thursday

Missing a day is bad news - been so busy this week I feel almost normal.
So to break the missing bits into small chunks and chew slowly. Had a big meet at work Wednesday afternoon discussing how to snaffle someof the extra money that the NHS will be given after April to improve its computer systems. Problem is they made a list last week and it came to three times the dosh that is likely to be available. I worry that even if we get a lot we aint got many people about with the right skills. I am also concerned about the amount of endless peformance monitoring stuff we have to submit to the centre (whatever that means). Perhaps if we asked saddam, blair, bush and co to fill in all these returns it would prevent the meltdown in the Gulf. It seems to me that everyone is so busy filling this stuff in to monitor their performance that they aint got time to perform (which could be a good thing in the gulf). I am having those strange old feelings that I want to make a difference to health for real people and I guess that seems a long way away at the minute. Make jokes about chucking it all in and going to be a clinical person again. Something stirs deep inside about why I joined up as a nurse anyway, all those years ago. I manage to stop these delusional ideas affecting my performance at performance monitoring. Wednesday Night is quite poignant as we raise a glass to Peter, and talk about old times and friends who are no longer with us.
Thursday morning got to be at Aintree Hospitals to see Mr Kerrigan at the ungodly hour of 9.15. This will involve a trek up Queens drive, a main artery of liverpol, at rush hour which is not easy. I opt for light relief on the journey talking handsfree to John Mc, top primary care technician and all round good egg.I do miss working with him. Arrive handy at Aintree and secure a decent accessible parking space. Do a few phonecalls and prepare an agenda for the meeting with Mr K. Not sure but anticipate its to talk about websites, and support. Rather than matters personal. Correct in my assumption, and for two hours we cover huge areas. The man is a star, I have noticed this personality cult that weight Loss surgery people develop about their surgeons. When someone gives you a life back its hard not to look at them as some kind of saint. We discuss this at length, I hope I don't do this but my suggestion that I design Dave Kerrigan memorabilia and mechandise betrays me. He is impressed with the selling locks of his hair idea,though, think of the income generation potential. We discuss a vast range of things in a circuitous way and I feel like we are the same wavelength about quite a few things. Getting some professional help with the wlsinfo website which is good and looking at printed info for those people without t'internet. Though a lot of big people have internet access as it is an enabling tool, if you can afford it. Leave with lots of plans after 2 hours. Miss a meeting of the trainers and head straight for the matchworks spending oly 25 minutes on the rocket flyover because of roadworks, still a good chance to phone people. Arrive at Matchworks and some big prescribing team doo is on, not sure what it is but the lunch smells good. See Frank (GP not barber) another one of the Ken Clare support team who will be shortly enter the sainthood. Meet some other docs, some of whom are really encouraging about the weight loss, some of whom dont mention it (maybe they didn't notice). The event is run by Ali my heavily pregnant mate, I will miss her when she goes on Mat leave as she is sound and supportive to me. off to childwall to see Sam and the gang, what a great job she has done in my absence, though I still feel guilty about being away so long. Had a good natter with one of my staff who is in the TA about the stae of the gulf
Home to the girls and off to mums for her 73rd birthday, we bought her a groovy chick cake, some flowery things and bulbs. She is very difficult to buy for. See Sandra at Tescos we went in for a cake and a pint of milk and spend 35 quid.See brother Dave and his partner Maria at Mums. My sister Mary is off to the theatre in Manchester. BAck home a few phone calls, bit of surfing and its time for ER. A very moving (tear jerking) episode on E4.
Friday then, a meeting at the matchworks, then Eileens dads funeral and off to Leeds for an evening meeting. The weight loss support group for one of the two surgery centres in the city.A busy weekend ahead.

No comments: