Wednesday, February 12, 2003

Wednesday still on the up

Got to the conference for 10ish felt a bit ropey but soon perked up. Good atmosphere at the conference, good speakers, it taught me quite a lot about making health information accessible for people with impairments. Talk about accessible conferences they had a mike wired up to a loop system, two signers, two lip speakers and a guy transposing everything saud and projecting it on to a really easy to read screen. Some points about written info which should be obvious but aren't. They had a guy from Surrey who talked about accessibility - and how jargon is crap. He used real examples to illustrate. Laurence and Steve gave good value for money, met Lily Hopkins again she used to give me a hard time when she was chair of the Community Health Council. She is now chair of North Liverpool Primary Care Trust - doesnt fit into the usual stereotype of white, middle class, retired, or political appointee that abounds in the non-exec role(though it is getting better). Had a good day(till three) saw Gail and Sandra from South, Anita from Mosaic and quite a few people who clearly knew me but I wasn't sure who they were. Visited in the evening by Dave and Hazel, had a raucous good laugh. Their youngest (who I think is about 8) is 21 on Saturday. So we'll be busy, Simon (of bypass and Angie fame) is having a party same night. So over to Irby (over the water) and then back to the Con club for a stay behind. Friday is Mabels funeral, a lady who was 90+ from our old church. Don't know if I'll be going. Today then, got up late need to breakfast though the choices seem limited - I am a bit sick of tinned pears. Off to a meeting with Martin at 11.30 a GP in Garston. Need to go into work and get a gym visit in as well. Tonight our quiz team is making its first visit to Winwick. Jean, Ruth, Colin Paul and me who had regular outings pre-op at the cricket club are looking for a new gig. We are called the F&T's a well balanced team (or we used to be until I lost my memory). The girls are good at popular culture, films, Paul is a scientist, Colin is a sports and history bod. I just remember some daft things - or used to we'll see. My knowledge of seventies music and TV is sad in the extreme. Looking forward to it.

No comments: