Saturday, March 01, 2003

Saturday Morning

A busy day yesterday, in work for 10. Good meeting with Paul, a practice manager, felt at times like I knew what I was talking about, spooky. Then went to Eileens dads funeral, glad to see the NHS represented in force, by me and veronica from south and Chris and Val from Central. Very nice service, obviously a popular guy, his son did a tribute, it was really good and moved me. Some of the words of the hymns were very poignant. The church was lovely, Our lady of Mount Carmel off Park road. I struggled a bit with the catholic liturgical approach but I wasn't the only one. Bobby was a soldier and British legion member they had a standard bearer there, He had been very ill for a long time so it seemed like a relief and the faith of the family helped them believe he was in a better place.
Back to work, stopping off at thoughtful foods on the way. A sort of butty shop for the landed gentry (yes we have posh parts of Liverpool), stood in the queue oggling pies and pasta dishes, looking for signs of soup. Found the sign oxtail soup that's not for me - I'm out and microwaving in the matchworks before you know it.
Upstairs for a bit of work, got a clear plan on my PC replacement program, a few things then off to Leeds to beat the traffic.
Left Liverpool at half three traffic was terrible stopped at Hartshead moor services and bought an egg and cress butty. Eat the middle bit, no crusts delicious and stayed where it should. Now Leeds, I have Leedsophobia, For several years we holidayed in Scarborough, which involved going through Leeds to find the A64 York road. I always got lost, I have been around Leeds several times. I am always suspicious of cities that aren't on the coast, at least in Liverpool the river stops you. I think in Leeds you could go for miles and miles. I did I had directions from the web from Clair, and some notes from Tinas husband. Anyway the hospitals tend to be well sign posted and I found it. Or at least one bit of it. The security guy didn't now where I wanted but I got there anyway. Parked in a place that said permit holders only and entered the place. Fine old Victorian establishment with an imposing architectural sign. Following notes from Tina I found the place up to the sixth floor.LIMIT bingo. The door was opened by a local person, who said you must be Ken I recognise your crutch. Fame at last, are you Tina, no Paula with her mum. A member of the wlsinfo site closed Roux-en-y November last year. Nice to put a face to a name. We were made a drink by a theatre nurse, who works in LIMIT and shown into a boss conference room. Two pre-ops arrived, they looked nervous. Paula had already lifted her clothes to show the amazing minimal scars from lap surgery. I responded to this secret sign by giving her a tantalising glimpse of the Grand Canyon (my scar don't worry). Another pre op and his partner arrived. Tina and Paul her partner, then another preop and her partner. All there, but the speaker didn't show, Mr Dexter, in theatre we found out later saving lives, didn't he know I had come all the way from Liverpool. For me that was no problem, and the quality of support and peer group stuff was the best bit.
Leeds is a funny place with a lot of hospitals and two weight loss surgery centres - and never the twain shall meet (or so it looks). Tina had tried to join the support group at the other place and was told it was only for patients of surgeon X. So good on her she set up her own, and anyone is welcome, any surgery approach, any doctor. I fully endorse this approach, there is so little support and info that we should be working co-operatively. I spoke to everyone and handed out cards. The two pre-oppers were nervous (just like I was) I hoped it helped them to meet people who had been there and lived to tell the tale. I found it a stimulating session, and was brimming full of ideas for our own group in Liverpool. Got an email yesterday from someone who is keen to set it up, and I am all for spreading the work. A big public thanks to Tina and Paul and the other folk for inviting and sharing feelings so openly. Hope to collaborate with Tina on the website stuff as well. Left the hospital found the car. I ate the rest of the egg butty, scared that I may never get home again. Only took me twenty five minutes to find the right road, the signposting was abysmal, I ended up on the road to York though. Got on the motorway, the wind and rain were lashing down. Accident just outside Leeds, terrible night got home and safe about 10.30. Relaxing with Jean watching Billy Connolly when got a phone call at ten to twelve. It was Eleanor one of the two sisters from next door, both retired nurses in the 90's they are an amazing pair. Anyway the younger sister Pat has had kidney trouble recently, been readmitted to the Royal and is very ill. Eleanor seemed agitated and upset, so I dispatched Jean, who donned a coat over her jimjams and went next door. I adopted a supportive approach by falling asleep in the chair. Jean woke me later at 1am and dragged me up to bed. The morning has disappeared and its off to the gym for a weigh in and workout. Shopping, and then to Nanny Banks' tonight. Discharge today if all goes well. Rang me mum who tells me they gave Nanny two bags of blood last night. I did ask about it 2 weeks she has a chronic anaemia, for which they can't find a reason. Seems the correct treatment is now part of the discharge process. She is better off at home.

No comments: