Thursday, April 08, 2004

Wednesday 7th April Nannie Banks Funeral.

The day starts with the post. A touching letter from a woman who suffers with Bipolar and read my piece in the Standard and is unable to come out at work. Not sure how to respond.
Then its a quick dash up to CPA to see Sam and 3 bacon butties from the coffee shop on the way back.
Get ready at home then its down to Nans after dropping my car at the Devonshire. There is a crowd on the pavement and mum is distraught. To be honest I just say hellos and sort the cars then wait outside. Mum is wandering up and down the drive wailing - not good. I am one minute away from calling the undertakers when the hearse appears at the end of the drive. I had feared that they had gone to my home address and we striking fear into the hearts of our neighbours by asking for the customer. The hearse and the three limos then take a left and motor into the next street before reversing into the drive in perfect if slow formation. A sort of slo - mo red arrows of the funereal worls I was impressed.
The undertakers is sixty something with a fine grey tash with a yellow smear that can be only be a sign of too many rollies smoked too close to the bone. Me mum is bad and gets worse when they open the back of the hearse I bundle her into the care and its off to Sacred heart - in the third row of thumbnails for the mass. I see Mickey outside the church. We are off we stand as they carry the box out, Father fitz approaches us and identifies himself to me mam. Nice guy into the church, plenty enuf there. I sit at the front next to me mum preoccupied with how to get ot for deliverey of Eulogy. They cover her mersey coffin in a white cloth a "pall" to represent her baptism. And place on a photo a cross and a knitted doll. Jean reads from scriptures. Good service quite unlike any mass I have heard. The children including my mum help get the offertory together. This is in fact the communion kit. I resort to my trus rootsand give take the sacrament. Also seeing it as a god send to relocate at the end of the pew so I can dart out. I get up and deliver my talk. Heres the notes though i must admit to reading far more than I usually did.
[Listening to: All Along the Watchtower - Bob Dylan - Best Of (02:32)]
Not sure if I prefer this or James Hendrix version.

My Nannie Banks.

Everyone here will have their own memories of me nan, to some she will be Emily, Mam, Mrs Banks, or something else. To me she always has been and always will be my nannie banks.

Born in 1912 lived though two wars and had a hard time bringing up five children she was a woman with a sharp wit and a tenacious character. I only knew for less than half of her life, but she has always been a part of mine.
I can remember earliest thoughts of Jubilee drive and presents and always getting "mugged" by me nannie every time I saw her there would something for me. She always wanted to give me a drink a biscuit or something else to eat. I remember helping her in the shops and her astute sense of business and a deal. She always liked a bargain, and clearly her early struggle for cash had made her very aware of the value of money.

I remember tales from the blitz about when the bombs were dropping, and a bomb dropped at the back of the house and the family had to move out., and it scared me as a child to imagine the horror. She was proud to be interviewed for the Spirit of the Blitz exhibition at the maritime museum.

I can remember going on Holiday with Nannie Banks and her liking a night out, she was a great person for company right up to the end of her life.

I remember going to Jubilee drive on Christmas day or boxing day picking up presents and going for a drink afterwards, on Kenny.

I remember her and Pat coming to me mums on a Tuesday then going off to Garston Market, searching for bargains.

Since me Dad died her and mum became closer and visits become more regular her ability to get out, went down but they still enjoyed a visit to McDonalds or wetherspoons.

My nan was frustrated with her being almost housebound and proudly maintained her independence to the last. Though always cheerful and making jokes, telling stories she was in almost constant pain. Her joints, leg ulcers and other illnesses gave her a terrible time from which she is now relieved and at peace. My faith tells me she is at peace in heaven, and last night someone told me that faith doesn't offer a bridge over troubled waters but helps you find a path through them.

As I have been sorting out Nannie Banks affairs I feel I have got to know more about her and about my aunties, uncles and even my Mum.

I can remember several times listing her grandchildren and great grand children she was keen that they all got remembered. And it would make her proud to know that several of them are all over the world at the moment, serving their queen or taking a holiday.


In the echo advertisement I put Mother of Kathleen Pat, Betty George and Ronnie, and grandmother and great mother and didn't list the names. I didn't have the space in the paper there are too many of us.

She would have been pleased to see all the faces her and the lovely flowers and I am sure you will all have your own memories of my Nan. Please remember her as I do with a smile.

On behalf of all the family I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for coming today and for all the kind thoughts and wishes. I would also like to thank Father Fitzgerald for saying mass today. Thanks to the doctors and the nurses who looked after Nan and for Doreen and the other carers, who were all greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

God Bless you Nannie Banks



Nannies 90th Birthday party April 2002
Nannie Banks and Me April 2002


That was at the Knotty Ash, located near the legendary home of Jam butty Mines made famous by Ken Dodd and his diminutive buddies.. They tortured me in my early youth. They live actors were mmostly girls and there was a comic each week it was utter drivel. More amusing is on the Liverpool A to Z the place nearby is known as Little Bongs which always makes me smile.
Anyway back to the mass the gig goes well and the incense and water is there I think my mum seems palpably better afterwards. Then its off to the crem I looked for a link for springwood crem but Google brought me back here. OOer spooky iterative loop???
We take a circuitous route to avoid traffic I guess and pass Moscow State Circus. which are camped in Sefton Park. Arrive at the Crem there are two chapels several people at the wrong one. They are called parsley and sage I think or two herb names anyway. In to the crem few extra faces there. Five seats on the front so I retreat to the second row and support me mam. She is ok ish till her brothers break down then she realises that the coffin has gone and she is better. We had chosen My way by Frankie for the final music. i was a bit unsure it could go either way. But its a success and Nannie always did things her way.
[Listening to: My Brother Jake - Free - Ultimate Rock 2 - Disc 1 (02:56)]

Then its in the cars after a fag break and back to the devonshire very quickly. I am hungry and dry. I need the toilet too. i guzzle about 3 pints of water. and then start on the fine buffet.
[Listening to: Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode A - - (02:47)]

The room was a bit tight but right, the other room available was far too big. I struggle with the food as people are chasing me. Ended up getting a piece of chicken stuck but should have known - my own fault. It goes well Uncle george raises a toast and all works out well.
[Listening to: Alright Now - Free - (05:33)]

[Listening to: Skating Away On The Thin Ice O - Jethro Tull - (03:27)]

SO there I am blogging away and the phone rings and I get ddistracted. Media player shuffle groove as taken me to
[Listening to: Miracles - Hot Chocolate - (04:04)]
Errol Brown hes taking some elixir of life I am sure.
Anyway doo goes well mum scoots off about 4.15. Jean and Ally scoot at the same time. I pay and hang round a bit longer. the drinkers have gone to shorts so I am off. Get home and collapse into bed two hours kip. Feel refreshed, tagliatelle. Mickey rings then its off out for the Winwick quiz. Inwhich we come second. A great night with Mickey and Adair as ever.
[Listening to: At Seventeen - Janis Ian - (03:55)]
They are showing a history of Winwick Asylum written by Ken Lewis which I must get a cread of Kieran will have access I am sure.

No comments: