Saturday, April 24, 2004

Friday the pressure builds

A good traffic flow only a minor prob going from the M58 to the M6 it was caused more by me talking to Rebecca. Manage to sort out a heap of business on the way up. Get to Blackpool in about a hour. Arrive ring Kim as prescribed, she is no where to be seen. Go and register can't check in. Bump into a few geezers. Sort of dawdle around. Lunch with Fran and Amanda. Meet more, planned tpo go into a session on GMS but people have it covered. The guy who was meant to deliver it didn't turn up. I hang about check out the conference exhibition. Then a walk along the promenade. Big match nerves build up. Cardboard Ken is smuggled in. Surprised to see stella with ann and kathy. Coffee break arrives and its in to the hall. A very good AVA man wires me up with a radio mike and pointer.

Coffee bit will be online soon too
reak ends and a DOF from Manchester chairs my session. Tony is a nice guy from Warrington who feeds me a couple of easy lines. I ease in and it goes fairly well quickly. Get the impression there are a lot of no-shows still Friday 4pm whaddya expect?
Still its a good session I over run a bit and I need to gallop the last few furlongs. A couple of issues overlooked but the laffs and serious message formulaic approach seem to work. Some good questions and a few people come up and make very kind spontaneous comments. Afterwards its up to the bar for a pint with tony and some other finance people. Then back to the room chill phone the girls put CK away get a bath get the penguin suit on. Decide to jib the reception with the mayor and meet amanda and fran in the bar. Into the dinner on table one with Kim Sue and the comittee gang. Inbetween Dave and Tom two St Helens lads - both accountants. I think of it as missionary work. Decent geezers - who like their sherbert. OK meal asparugus and leek soup steak and fancy veg followed by profiteroles. Then its up and down stairs bars nightclub dancin drinkin too late. Several very bevvied people telling me they appreciated my talk. I stay up far too late.

No comments: