Thursday, May 22, 2003

A raft of new experiences(white water style)

Off to town for lunch which is scary in extremis. I wanted to give Jean and I a treat, end up here The other place Bistro located in the former Bechers Brook in the heart of the cultural quarter I am nervous but excited. Not the best with food and my mini belly. There is a light lunch menu which contains several options for both of us. None of which seem extremely right for me, I settle for the Chicken Satay salad, Jean for the Chicken Milanese Sandwhich. Mine arrives small mound of some of the most beautiful chicken with a peanutty toothsome sauce. Gustatory pleasures on a level which I thought would be unachivable post op. Jeans is boss too. I savour and enjoy every delicious mouthful. Good service 12.15 for two. Pre op I would have to have fries and bread and salad extras and still not felt full. This opens up new opportunities. Small microportioned bistros abound. I always avoided em for the very reason they seem so attractive. Head struggles with new possibilities of social eating. Just when it looks like it can get no better the waiter gives us a buy one get one free voucher for our next meal . He gets a better than average tip.
Pop into the Imagine office on Hope street, a housing and care provider I was a trustee there for a few years. See a couple of folk who nearly recognise me. Drive down into the city and Park in the NCP on Paradise Street, The exit into the street scares me, it is five years plus since I was able to go there because of my mobility impairment. It is busy, to me anyway. But I wander around like an openmouthed child, I keep bumping in to people the concept of pedestrian is strange, is there a book I can read. Find Harvey Malcolm my first goal. Strike up a rapport with the geezer, he is a tailor, not camp but older than me jobbing tailor. I explain the history he assess the case makes the diagnosis and whisks me off to choose - er choose whats that about. In to Jacket department, there is a very nice blue job wich is a good tight fit, hell my weight is only going one way. Eighty quid yes please. 3 work shirts, two casuals a tie a belt down 170 suits me sir. The shirt tie combo seems a little girlie but Jean assures me I'll be OK. Glad she is there.Need to buy Ally a present, and Me and Jean. Confession time now for the last 15 years I have never worn a watch and developed a time doesnt govern me approach. It was coz I couldn't get a timepiece that would suit the expanded limbs. With the recent 15th anniversary designatedas the watch anniversary I take the plunge and go on a hunt. We take coffee in Clayton square which I aint seen before. Wander a bit I go into tesco metro alone which I end up abandoning my trolley in due to close proximity of too many folk and insufficient space. Nearly have a panic attack but avoid and regroup outside.Jean has by now caught up with Me. Its raining but I am glad to be alive. Purveyors of fine watches seem to fall into categories, extremely cheap or extremely dear. I am looking for a 30 pound an item budget. Argos says Jean, Argos says Ken poxy distributor of brown boxed items? I appreciate my intelligence may be somewhat out of date. Lo and behold we find the necessarys and purchase three fine time pieces. The strap fits comfortably in the third hole that will do me.
Away home and Ally is pleased with hers. Bum about on the PC, before a delicious cold chicken and meat collation with a bit of xheese thrown in. Visited by Colin Jeans brother with whom we will holiday in August. Phone call from sister with news of mother basically none but she is upset and uncertain what tests they are doing. Sister Mary is upset that the nurses on the ward don't know I tell her not to worry I will pick this up tomorrow.
A walk in the rain for 35 minutes I feel good new places I aint never seen on foot, roads are scary though. Back home and phone call to Jane, Jane is from South Africa living here for 10 years, she had a Duodenal switch, read about it here explains it well. She was the first real person I came across in the UK DS community - I think she was it. our site is developing a membership of pre and post op switchers. Se is a woman I feel a great respect for and I am thrilled when she accepts a position as moderator on our soon to be created DS forum. Top stuff warm glow another good day, watch some football I dont understand and then go to sleep.

Thanks to Kim for medication and spell checking suggestions.

No comments: