Wednesday, May 07, 2003

Work is a four letter word

Back to work today and jolly grateful I am too. If a little apprehensive though. Still lucky to have one and all that. Mike and sandra fly off to china for a year out today, didnt hear from them before but presume its all green light.
Had an email from Asaad, salaam to him. My friend from Sheffield. I have learnt more about peace and love from him ....but thats another story. He is from the Sudan and we fell in together at college me coz I was the fat old mature student geezer, him coz he was dirfferent in a new culture. Our acceptance of all people and a shared interest in Bob Marley drew us together. He has taught me a lot about Islam and tolerance. I am looking forward to seeing him soon.
My mum continues unwell, they are doing a CT scan on Thursday though to be honest, i am not sure with what they are looking for. They told her but it went throughwhat we call the Nanna scrambler. What emerged at he otherside was a tale about offal that sounded more like a mixed grill than a diagnosis.
Weight continues to be shed, broken the 21stone barrier. Now done to 21stone 8lbs. Thats over 13 stone lost. I feel great and last night I walked a kilometre in one go on the treadmill at a briskish pace without stopping. I had to hold on to the rails a couple of times but when I first went I could only do 70metres at half the speed I go now. Problem with a kilometre is it is metric - and that is bad, I am unable to grasp it fully in the way my mum cannot grasp decimal currency (32 years on). So I think I have walked a bag of sugar, five eighths of a mile or half a pint. Then again I dont know what half a mile looks like laid out on the ground. In the fat world I learned only two meausres near, (walkable) and far (not). Now that walkable has got further new horizons open to me.

No comments: