Monday, August 22, 2005

Should have listened to Nobby.

Nobby Forbes was our language teacher in first year seniors. I was terrified of him, he was a great teacher, a great man and was mentioned in the Colditz story. I should have taken advantage of his ability to impart the gift of languages. Instead I horsed about big time and wasted my chance. Its payback time. I woke up early and took a stroll around sleeping Marville I happen along a cross between an off licence and hardware shop. Staff it with Arkwrights gallic cousin and you'll see what I am getting at. First part is easy self serve sucre, cafe, comfiture, margarine, jambon and fromage prove more difficult. When it comes to milk things go down hill fast. I ask for lait s'I'll vous plait - he offers me garlic and goes on to attempt to proffer suggestions. I avoid the milking gestures and mooing sounds as I am uncertain of French mental health legslation. I give up and we go for black coffee. I feel ashamed over my ignorance at this mans fine language. Interestingly I used to be better than this but my confidence is shot. I find it haard to even attempt. After breakfast much welcomed by my housemates its Colin and I to intermarche. Fine facility with all a holiday. Maker needs. Most impressed by the fish counter and the British aisle end. They have us clocked with our cruchies OXO and HP sauce. Fine complex Colin purchases nice cakes then home. We lunch in the garden on hand built pizza and the girls have calzone. Off to St.Malo by bus number 3 stopping outside L'Hippodrome the jorney is memorable for two reasons. 1. Its low cost €1.20 and 2. The presence of an unkempt armed elderly Russian sailor. Not sure if he is a comedy turn or the real mccoy. Might be armed and fuelled on cheap stolly. Leave him be says I. Bus drops you a spit fromthe walls and we split up. Girls much round town we tramp the ramparts. Taken by the view across the bay and its many islands. Its lovely and with hot sun and brisk wind I feel better already. To be continued.

No comments: