Thursday, January 01, 2004

New Years Eve.

A lot of reflection, despite some achievements we have had a ropey 2003. Still I feel I have something like a plan to go forward, hope I have the credibility and personal resources left to carry it off. I guess what steels me is we have come through worse. So navel gazing over up and at 'em.
Got a meeting at work to discuss return and a guess I need a phased plan and some support, so much has changed. There was stuff happening when I had my op that I never really got my head round - NPfIT etc, I guess theres other stuff now, LSP's and all that are a complete mystery. Plan to talk to Fran and the LIS gang to get some help. We shall see.
Despite my best intentions Ally lazed about in bed most of the morning. I helped Babsie from the site sort her email which was truly rewarding Jean got home after lunch and we didnt do much cept prepare for our New Years Eve supper. I nipped out in a wintry shower to get me mam, who had left earlier thinking I wasn't coming. Cock up there then. Have to stand on the step for 10 minutes whilst me Nan comes to the door. Hard for her and mean on me. Its like a wind tunnel her street and this is straight from Siberia.
Get home and mooch. Then a panic hits me there is nowt for Ruth my gluten free sister in law to drink. Every new year we are embarrassed by the lack of something, usually lime for her lager. Jean tells me lager is off limits so relax no lime but..... Off I trot, quite literally, to the offy. The weather is by now horrific, who was that guy who said "I may be gone some time." The rapidly diminishing Ken (as Kieran (now incorrectly) refers to me ) has very little in the way of wet weather protection. So I try my best by dodging sleet and relying on sheer speed. Protection afforded only by M&S fleece, and my disney racoon skin cap. Trousers may have helped but I was rushing. I hot footed it to the off licence. one was shut and it wasn't bargain booze. Bargain booze I is how can I say a box shifter. Fine for a slab of lager but not for choosing quality beverages, not very deep down I am, I suppose, a snob. They seem to do two types of assistant and three types of port.
Assistants teenager with muscles for lifting slabs, and lady who has been on the sunbed perhaps a tad too long. Port is 3.99 a litre 4.99 a bottle or 7.99 for cockburns special reserve , 4.99 at ASDA. Bargain booze my Jim Royle. I decided to remove my headwear in the shop and stuff it in the fleece pocket. The dripping racoon fur tail raised a few eyebrows. I gave them my best Deliverance tooth less backwoods man grin. Anyway back home through the weather.
The guests arrive and we settle down to a light supper and TOTP2 till This happens New years eve and Telly breaks Harumph.
So I attempt to reboot the cable box - we get nowhere, which is unusual as Ally seems to be netting away merrily upstairs. Hmmmmm what shall we do. Then Ally comes down stairs as a result of A national t'internet access outage later downgraded as it only appled to Liverpool after all. We retuned the telly to terrestial and watched the excellent hootennay with Jools. Jools third and friends album found its way into my stocking along with League series 3 Good Stuff. Lots of fireworks see in the new year and guests away home. Need my sleep calling the bingo tomorrow at the New Year bash.. will this pleasure never cease.

No comments: