Monday, February 23, 2004

Sunday - Roll on Lent

Wake up wishing I hadn't - nothing new there then. The house is slow to rise. We lunch on the half price curry megadeals I scored yesterday. Good and tasty and real person food. After lunch we bizarrely trot to Ruth and Pauls where we left the car. Brisk and refreshing it cheers me up. Back and phone calls to make Jenfeet, Teen and Chris I am lousy at keeping in touch. Forget to pick my mother up ooops so its off in a hurry to get her.She aint on best form tired but has been the Docs. Her platelets are highter than mine. But she has dry kidneys (whatever that means) and asks me 6 times what it means. I guess its a high urea but who knows. "the thing in my blood that goes up when you have a heart attack is OK" eventually I deduce this is cholesterol. Mum claims this is due to her daily dose of cardio-protective banana. Apparently dad was advised this by a doctor years ago when he had low fertiliser in his blood (potassium I think) Ho hum. In a desperate attempt to go to the brink we drink again but not to last nights extreme. The Lenten promise, started a long time ago Mary my elder sister bet me a tenner I couldn't give up beer for Lent. She didn't really mean that she meant alcohol but I won the bet. I went in to a haze of draught cider and vodka chasers. Since then it has been a challenge taken up in different years. Didn't do it last year as I had already had 4 months of abstinence from too many pleasures/. I actually find it easier to give up then cut down. I am essentially a binary person. Logic dictates total abstinence but (big but) that is unthinkable. Which though it is plain daft the very thought of abstinence for ever makes me think of drink now.
Anyway the first test will come on Wednesday on the train on the weigh home. Trains mean tinned beer to me it is an association thing deeply ingrained. In the olden days it was mcewans export.

No comments: