Monday, March 29, 2004

RIP Emily Banks 22.04.1912- 29.03.04

Well Nanny had been up and down - blog followers will know she has been in the Royal for some weeks. It was pronounced she was coming home today. Mum had visited yesterday, Emily complaied of chest pain but didn't want to alarm for fear of discharge being delayed. Mum called me at 5.45 Jean answered. I donned clothes and swigged a pint of milk and a brunch bar. Drove like the wind to me mums. Then on to the Royal, the resus team were in evidence, a very nice junior doctor, explained they had done their best shocked her tubed her bagged her got her back once but that she was very near the end now. The nurse led us round and she checked she had gone. Mum was very upset. I went prayed and held her hand. We went back in the room the nurse was very upset and a another patient gave me mum a big hug. It was very moving. Betty and John arrived. we went back in to see Nan. Then it was up to Nans house. We sorted some essentials out, like the cash she had salted away. Then it was off to see Pat and Billy mums other sister then ring George and Ronnie the brothers from there. I think it was here that about 8.30 I woke up. A bit of a mad morning really, John took Betty home and I took me mama back to hers. Seemed weird and lifeless as everyone else locked in commuting to work and school. We get to Mams and she goes into cooking mode starting with the full english I negotiate her down to a grilled bacon sandwich.
[Listening to: Get Busy - Sean_Paul - Dutty_Rock-CD (03:32)]

I succumb it tastes great but in my enthusiasm dont chew enuff and honk like mad. A bit of bacon blocks my stoma (is that the right word).
Things settle and the phone don't stop ringing. Speak to sis but brother remains uncontactable. Niece Ann coming up from London but I decide not to tell me mam.
[Listening to: Picture This - Blondie - Blonde and Beyond (02:55)]

Morning TV drones on and mum is kept busy with phone and other arrangements. I scoot to Tesco for a bite of lunch and cream cakes and other essential bereavement food.
Sis appears about 2 with Ann which makes nannas day. Meanwhile I have got in touch with Dave and he arrives. I dissapear home after several phonecalls to the very helpful bereavement office. Which may have in the past been called a mortuary.
I take Ally and Jean to me mums and they stay while I take mum off to Bettys for a family meeting. Its funny walking up bettys street. I used to play there as a child it seemed a happier brighter place then. The biggest problem then was dog muck. The world in 1965 was of course monochrome and now the technicolour streets boarded terraces evidence of prostitution and drug abuse add nowt. walking up the street I am struckhow Betty has lived all her married life in view of Nannies home. Last time I walked up this street I was probably two feet shorter. The meeting was interesting? It was strange family dynamics done large. I had a good chat with Graham all seemed mostly settled if well stretched a little thin. Bleasdale would be well pleased this rich comedy vein. I better not mention it to my scriptwriter friend(s).
Went back to Mams had a good natter. Jean and Ally went home and I followed dropped off by Mary and Ann.
Hit the night meds then off to bed a restless night but a good kip.

No comments: