Sunday, September 14, 2003

Friday media whore strikes back

Workin away on caldicott gig happily till Tim from Kenyons our PR called and said how do you fancy bein on telly tonight. Flap a bit but agree, Granada reports the Beeb have knocked me back coz they is doin a follow up on one of Steve Pollards patients on Monday night, fickle world innit. Head to hammy for a meeting with the PCS gang. But cant stop worrying about the TV gig wonder about me shirt, but decide against an upgrade. Speak to Lorraine Davids secretary she is sound. Good meeting where I d a passable impersonation of an NHS manager. Then back to the house for to pick up me kit, on the way out I pick up a bit of body fat these telly guys like visuals, I believe. Take a packet of wafer thin ham which I munch in the car as a means of producing indigestion. They like audio effects too I believe.
Arrive at the matchworks at 2 minutes to 2. A bit nervous and Richard from Kenyons , my handler is waiting for me. This is the plan, he explains then the geezers from Granada turn up , they tell us what we are going to. I hate this but adopt my media head. i hate it but if it gets the message to one person it is good attitude, also lie back smile and do as you is told these geezers are professionals I aint.
They like that and we laff. The boss from Kenyons is there Roger, Mr Kenyon I like it when you meet the name ad he is a real geezer, always wanted to meet Mr Kipling.
The boy from Granada is sound and the camera man is a top geezer. They start with me walking from the carpark to the front door. I pretend Maurices BMW is mine. Only takes three goes. Then into the works rig up a desk and talk for ages to the guy about the op and its effects. I look up and there are several people watching me I feel a complete dork. They take my before snaps and are most impressed with the 5lb lump of fat. I then get changed into my kit. SLPCT t shirt and then shoot leaving the matchworks several times, they dont like is and want me to warm up stretch or something. Like a true MW I oblige smiling. Then a shot running off again several times. Then round the back of the works and several running shouts including an interview from a car as I am walking along , I am deaf and they tell me the questions first I am radio miked up several bits they cant use coz I keep swearing. Then a piece with the guy talking to camera and me running up behind then past him. Only 5 goes to get it right I am knakkered by the end then back to the works and they are away. I will be on at 6.10 and my package will be 1 min 30 whatever that means. Then home to pick up the girls to meet david tim jack and the echo photographer at aintree hospital. David rings me from theatre no jack no photographer eventually we get together after a saga, mins Jack and ge a snap in the can. Then David bombs to the Albert Dock to be on the live show. David Kerrigan id the geezer who did the op. Tim is paling nervous that they wont make it, in time to "check the levels" I reassure him by telling him David drives like a manic and lives on the edge. We order atakeaway on the way home and ring people to tell them I is on. Get home in time and well, shocked by the result It is well weird the strangest thing I have ever seen, hearing your own name on the telly then seeing your kipper and very wobbly bits is a hoot. David does well, he is live and has more bottle tan me for sure.
Go to Beas and and laff and have several people ringing to congratulate, commisserate with me. Watch it again after a few drinks and laff me head off. Bit cross they dont mention the website or support group at all but they wanted a corporate cup story. So fair enuff Well weird day.

No comments: