Sunday, October 31, 2004

Saturday Belfast bound.

Airport via Tesco for a butty. Flight on time and its a new 737-700 so the captain tells us. 6 abreast and 25 rows - surprisingly full. Up and away Stelios offers the easy kiosk - for drinks snacks and early christmas shopping. Land at The airport formerly known as Aldergrove and am met by Jimmy, Annes other half. A fine fella ex soldier and in the PSNI, Anne was an officer too but is now a social work student. Jimmy gives me a fine tour on the way in and we arrive in good time at the Days hotel. An excellent meeting - took place, for a first one there was an excellent turnout way better than Anne had expected.
After the meet Anne and Jimmy took me on a tour of belfast. I took in all the sites shankhill, falls road, holy cross school, crumlin road, sinn fein HQ,orange hall, and several paramilitary strongholds, city hall, cathedrals, queens(university) hospitals and the peace wall. The commentary that accompanied the tour was priceless. I really couldnt get the "troubles" at all, and the it really blew my mind seeing it all with my own eyes. It really shook me.
The we stopped at the back of the Europa blled as being Bill Clintons choice but more famous as the most bombed hotel in Europe. Then its over the road to the Crown Pub a fantastic boozer highly recommended to me.
Then along the road to this gaff. Where I partook of a tasty scallops and cashew nut in a birds nest.
Back to the airport where I get nervous again being at wrong gate or whatever. The flight was cracker 30 mins and back home again. Back of the net.
A good day.

No comments: