Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Copy of post from WLSINFO

Posted - 26/05/2004 : 09:31:03
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought I better update you all with where things are up to. Firstly thanking you all for the cards, flowers, kind thoughts and prayers without which I wouldnt have got this far.
It all started 6/5/04 - I went to Starbucks for a coffee and within an hour had a belly ache.
I drove to another office - wanting a poo ( urgently) got there had a brief meeting (no poo) and drove home (stopped twice for fear of collapsing in pain).
Rang secretary to bring briefcase home and Jean to come home and help.
We rang Mr Kerrigans secretary for advice - thinking it may be RNY related. His advice was head for A+E at Aintree (not the nearest so calling an ambulance aint an option). One of my worst drives as a passenger ever to get there.
Got to A+E fainted with pain (good way to get a trolley). Then I got inside got inside got assessed got seen. Saw Mr K likely to be gallstones - sent to surgical assessment unit - this is thursday night betwen there and saturday is blurry.
Sore painkillers movin wards plenty of docs looking at me lots of tests. Saw Mr K Saturday and other Docs Saturday AM who decided things were different and I needed an op. A Mr Scaife assesed me and a nice guy consented me. He explained I needed to consent for a laparotomy +/- a stoma. This frightened me but I realised
I had few options.
I had an epidural fitted in the anaesthetic room to help with post op pain control - it took a long time and was fiddly but was worth it.
Mr Scaife operated and my first question on waking up - was did I have a colostomy. Nope.
Off to ITU tubed up central line, arterial line, epidural,IV's, NG tube, catheter two drains, and me disorientated and off my head. Jean came in that night. But the Saturday Sunday was an unpleasant blur. I had an obstruction due to adhesions from my appendicectomy when I was 21. Nowt to to do with my RNY. Which was quite a shock. I had 10inches of my bowel removed. It was necrosed and though they washed my guts well, I got a couple of infections.
So wounds - main one paralell to my RNY incision starting nearer my belly button but not quite as far at the top. then two incisions either side of that. Difficult to describe (especially for me as I cant see it).
Got transferred to care of Mr K and Sefton Suite. Seemed a bit of a haze. My mental health tablets were mixed up, I was toxic from wound infections and then I developed a chest infection (or some people called it pneumonia).
I wasn't well - I was hallucinating, scared, thought I was gonnna die, at times terrified and at other times spaced out.
Those who visited will testify to this - If I said anything offensive, or promised anything I apologise and claim toxicity.
Who do I remember Jean Ally Mum Mary Dave Maria Bea Tommy Alan Colin Hannah Cozzie Jack Mandy Teen Phil Frank Kim Janet Jonathon Mike Jane Mary Les Emma Shelly Leanne Ian JK Lots of doctors nurses physios lorraine louise billy plus probably many more.
My belly swolled up with fluid and I put on weight.
Then last monday I turned the corner started eating and feeling better. Didnt get diarrhoea (much , yet).
Saw dietitian a couple of times gotta get more in and scripts adjusted.
Weight on Sunday 15st 10lbs 100.4 kg thats down from 34st 216kg. But as its easy to say at this stage weight isnt everything
Gotta say I dont look at my best I am anaemic - I need a haircut I am weak and need a good rest. Which is my number one plan.
I wont be around here much but feel relaxed that the team have done a great job and will continue to do so. So apols for spelling and grammar and thanks for the prayers and best wishes.
Sorry for jobs I didnt do before I went off sick but Lisa will be in touch. Great to see people coming through ops and the site continue to go from strength to strength .
So keep the membership forms coming (Lisa will provide details) and watch out for exciting new developments.

Copied here for a bit of context.

No comments: