Saturday, June 17, 2006

Bipolar.

Where was I before the taxi came. Fessing up to mental health probs I think. This post is being posted in two blogs so apols to personal blog readers for any repeats. I was off to see my clinical psychologist peter kinderman this week. He had been off to london to a menshealth forum gig. A question was raised why mens mental services are so poor. He said its coz all services are poor.
Jim the mens health forum top editor has had a hell of week I'll bet.
So as homage to jim and for readers everywhere. A small piece living with bipolar.
So what is it?
Bi-polar affective disorder - bi-polar two poles opposites for me they are depths of depression, and hypomania, loud reckless lacking in judgement sexually inappropriate and a bit non stop. These are exagerations of what I see as an features of my normal (if such a thing exsists) personality. It used to be called manic depressive psychosis, when I was a boy. Tis popular in crap american telly as a trendy diagnosis. My psychiatrist who was exceptional said if he had to choose a psychosis this would be the one he would choose. Told him he could have mine.
Its an affective disorder it effects your moods. I have had it all my adult life. Mostly untreated I have always been a moody bugger with overactive phases followed by deep dark depressions. Usually spend winter depressed which makes for a great christmas. Two years ago I had a hypomanic episode. Was quickly picked up and referred to th psychiatrist. He accurately diagnosed it and offered apprpriate treatment. Being abloke and a health care professional I declined. Took it when landed in depth of a another deep dark depression that winter. Speak later I am going to an african

No comments: