Thursday, May 15, 2003

Wednesday was a whirl

Heard an interview with Humphries and Jack Straw on today. He gives good value that Humphries geezer, what about these weapons of mass destruction then. Straw wriggled, spin aint no good here. I even found myself laughing with Chris Patten (now that is scary). Sorry for the politics creeping in - a sure sign I am returning to an even keel. A meeting about training first thing. Then for a briefing with the boss about what I need to do. Think it might do me good to have few quck wins. Gawd knows there is plenty to do. Andreas last day, didnt work with her much but by the frost helluva of a star person. Felt relaxed about her first time we met. Will be missed by me. Need someone in the PA role otherwise I will just wander amidst the world.
Went to Maghull saw loads of the old gang and plenty of the new buzzing off the positive vibe. Called at Rathbone on the wayback trying to unravel the mysteries of Delphi, I system I was involved in the procurement of a 100 years ago. It is a funny old beast, no one one likes it much but everyone says it belongs to them. It is a system which provides Human resource information and feeds the payroll. So they both claim it - wrong. IT used to claim it was theirs coz it runs on the "boxes" - wrong they might own my box they dont own information. Finance want a slice coz out of the bottom drops useful info - Hmmmm. I think they are all wrong it was bought as designed as a MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEM it works best when owned locally and used as such. I just need to persuade them (and everyone else now).
In my view all the others are stakeholders who get their bit as a benefit when all the other stuff drops out the bottom. When will people realise that some geezer designed these things to a job and understand they will deliver best when asked to do the job they were desned for. Have you tried mowing the lawn with a vacuum cleaner, or hoovering the carpet with a lawnmower. It is a goodjob nobody reads this.
Went to Rathbone met the King and Queen of Delphi who with the appropriate paperwork and careful handling and good relationships nurtured over years gave me all I wanted and more (bit of a lesson there). Got young George to install the goods on two machines in the matchworks and tomorrow project South PCT/Delphi begins. Take Kim the budget woman off to starbucks in the morning for a meeting. Finance people need nurturing too. Who knows a cool mill might slip into my budget line ( a big joke)
Got home off my half day at 4pm bit tired. Small snoozette and face the world.
Support group preparation, got there in the end, resounding success 31 people turned up. Room too small, humbled by the whole thing, angered by the lack of support for the obese and pleased to see something happened.
mum never had the biopsy, don't really why going to see the registrar at 12 noon, not looking forward to that.

No comments: