Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Au revoir Incapacity Benefit

So I have taken the plunge jumped off incapacity benefit after doing the humiliating "permitted work" its what us disabled folk can do and still claim benefit. Helps us get out the house feel good and earn sweetie money. Money which the taxman takes a big chunk of as well. I have been earning the maximum of 81 quid or working 16 hours for a while and turning down work and money making opportunities. So I spoke to Jean and we decided to give it a shot. Deep down I was uncomfortable with claiming incapacity whilst sunning on a beach in brittany thoughI guess even we dolescum are entitled to holidays.
So I am testing the market for a start up business, I do a bit of nursing, a bit of writing , a bit of speaking, spose I could take pictures too if I was that way out. Hmm store that thought for later. Good thing is I am not looking to make a killing just more than 85 quid a week (incapacity benefit. I think I will feel a whole lot better about myself too.
In society today we are often judged by what we do - usually one of the first questions people ask. I now need to think of an answer, I must ask me mate Jane Deville-Almond, independent nurse consultant and freelance journalist - sounds good. I probably need a website too. But for today I am still permitted so I am off in to see Lesley and get a handover whats going on, prior to her leave.
Nerves about Dave and Marias wedding come up - will I look an arse with my speech (yup), probably. Hope it all turns out well for them must ring him today to see if there is anything I can do practically.

No comments: