Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Monday Off to Gym.

Up and motivated feeling a tad brighter. I reflect how far my exercise program has come.
1 hour and 5mins aerobic now. in the middle of which while listening to my portable mp3 tunes Caroline Rand pops in to the gym. Its funny seeing people from work, I really dont know what to say and I probably look very well. Though I was sweating like a pig (appropriately)
[Now playing: Mannish Boy - Muddy Waters - Various Artists - Originals Vol.1 [UK] (5:16)]
Caroline sent me a get well card last week - I forgot to post that fact. Then Phil Wadeson my boss came past the gym - didnt know what to say. I have a natural tendency to think I shouldnt be out when I am off sick. With depression thats the worse thing you can do, isolating myself scared to see anyone. Tis a hard one. I will check things out with Frank - I miss the people on the website too. I feel like a hermit.
After lunch at Greenbak its off to Moss house is that an old NMCT site. I was off to see a researh assistant to the prof.
Here are the details
Study Title: How do the Symptoms of Depression and Mania Develop in Bipolar Disorder?


INVITATION TO TAKE PART

We are a group of psychiatrists, clinical psychologists and statisticians who work for the Universities of Liverpool and Manchester.You have been contacted us in one of two ways. Your doctor or your nurse may have asked you if your name and details could be passed to us. If so, your doctor or nurse will have written down in your notes that you agreed to be contacted by us. You may have contacted us because you have seen an advert for this research.


We are asking you to take part because you have bipolar disorder and your doctor or nurse say you are well, you have depression or have mania.

We are trying to find out if some patterns of thinking may lead to the start of being ill with depression or mania.

Before you decide if you want to take part in this research study, please read these pages telling you about the study. Please talk with our researcher Emma van der Gucht. She will explain the study to you and answer any questions you may have. Please discuss the study with friends, relatives, Trust staff or your GP if you wish.

You do not have to take part in this study. Taking part will not change your treatment in any way.

BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
Bipolar disorder is a serious mental illness in which people may become severely depressed or get mania. In mania, a person may feel excited and very cheerful. Unfortunately in mania the persons judgement is affected so they may do reckless things that they would not normally do. Sometimes their actions cause harm to themselves or other people. Often people later regret what they did when they were ill with mania.

Our research team and others have found out that some patterns of thinking in people with bipolar disorder are different from healthy people. These patterns of thinking are different from normal even when the person with bipolar disorder feels well.
Some of these patterns of thinking are similar to the patterns of thinking that people with depression get. However, there are also some differences. People with bipolar disorder may do things to cope with these patterns of thinking. The ways in which they cope may sometimes make illness from depression or mania more likely, especially if they do not sleep well.

AIMS OF THE STUDY
We are trying to find out if certain patterns of thinking, coping and sleep are seen more often in people with bipolar disorder than healthy people.

We are also trying to see if the same processes are present but show a different pattern when the person has mania or depression compared with when they are ill.

We are trying to learn if some of these thinking patterns and coping are linked to some types of symptoms in mania or depression.
The researcher is nice though late - but I am quite happy in a waiting room though I am perturbed by the reading matter.
FHM, Maxim Loaded and Nuts not exactly top shelf but higher than I ever get, one copy of wedding and a changing room book. SHe asks me lots of questions and at our next meeting I will do questionairres, record my memories and play a card game. Whoopity doo! Still I actually believe in taking part in this if it helps.
University Challenge tonight - top stuff.

No comments: